Lighthouse Louisiana Industries
"When I got a job at the Lighthouse, a whole new world opened up for me. It was a world of independence, it was a world of opportunity, and it was a world of fulfillment. I felt like my life had new meaning. Right now I’m working in the paper towel department. It’s a very sophisticated operation, and you have to come down and see it to believe it. I guarantee you you’ll be impressed, you’ll be amazed, and you’ll be proud that we have a place like this in New Orleans that gives people who are blind hope for the future."
- David Green, Lighthouse Louisiana Employee
- 70% of individuals with disabilities are unemployed.
- Lighthouse Louisiana ships over 6,000 orders per year to federal and commercial customers.
- Lighthouse Louisiana produces about 43,200 cups in a single hour.
- Lighthouse Louisiana manufactures full color custom print cups for large and small commercial customers.
As a social enterprise and economic engine in the Southeast region we operate three modern manufacturing locations in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, Louisiana and Gulfport, Mississippi, employing over 140 people. On a tour of Lighthouse Louisiana’s facilities, you’ll see individuals who are low vision, blind, or have other disabilities operating some of the same ultra-modern high-speed equipment found in any competitive manufacturing facility to produce quality products.
Lighthouse Louisiana takes pride in its employees’ abilities to not only operate industry standard equipment, but to do so with a precision and efficiency that allows us to be price competitive.
The Lighthouse Industrial Manufacturing program is designed to:
- Create competitive employment opportunities for people with disabilities
- Provide a training ground for learning job skills
- Educate the sighted community about the exceptional level of performance achieved by people who are blind or visually impaired
- Provide a source of revenue in support of other Lighthouse services
Our manufactured product lines include:
- Custom printed and stock hot and cold cups in many sizes
- Single-fold paper towels
- Deck swabs
The Federal Government is our largest customer through contracts with the General Services Administration, Defense Logistics Agency and relationships through federal dealers and military base stores. We also provide packaging services for mess trays, plates and sponges. These contracts are part of the AbilityOne Program, made possible by Javits-Wagner-O’Day legislation. The program helps create jobs as well as generate revenue used to support the wide variety of services we offer to individuals with disabilities.
We have also expanded into the commercial market, manufacturing custom printed cups for restaurants, hotels, and other businesses using up to 6 color process or spot printing on hot and cold cups.
By purchasing from the Lighthouse you are opting for ISO-certified, made in the USA products, which use US-sourced raw materials. We also offer environmentally friendly PLA (commercially compostable) cups. By purchasing from the Lighthouse you are also directly supporting all of the services we offer for the community.
We invite you or your group to tour our New Orleans facility on State Street or our Baton Rouge facility on N. Flannery Road. Please contact (504) 899-4501 ext. 209 for an appointment.